The Last True Snowstorm


Photo I took of Howard during the 2010 snowstorm.

The storm came in quick and covered the forest in a thick blanket of snow. It shrouded the house and weighed down the branches. It went up past our ankles when we marched through it.


Howard took out his camera to get some pictures of the house and the trails. We stopped periodically to make snow angels or have a snowball fight.

 The rainy blizzard stuck to the silver hairs on his beard making him look like a snow giant.

Mom's purple hat was slowly collecting snowflakes too. Both of their cheeks were stained pink. When we laughed our exhales were visible.

"Mom, kiss Howard in the snow," I said. I took my own camera and began snapping as many photos as I possibly could. When it snowed over five inches the house ended up looking like something in a postcard or a wintery wonderland. 


Photo I took of Momma and Howard during the 2010 snowstorm.
Sometimes when we walked through the forest we would hear the cracking of branches falling to the ground. The weight of the snow seemed to prevail over the branches strength. I couldn't help but feel a bit somber every time I heard one of the big branches break and fall to its demise. 

I looked over at Mom and Howard who were holding gloved hands and strolling along quite peacefully. They looked as if they were in their own little bubble, not caring one bit about the forest's destruction. 

Looking back on that feeling, I don't know if it was because I knew I was missing something that they had, or if I was too scared a branch would fall on me as we walked further. Probably a little bit of both. 

We all ended up wearing two coats a piece to prevent the chill from seeping in faster. We all joked that we looked like human marshmallows. Howard said that we should recite an on the spot poem about people walking through the snow storm. 

I ended up obliging this request, knowing that the poem would probably include some sort of dry humor aspect. Howard loved dry humor. 


Photo I took of Momma and Howard walking out on the trail during the 2010 snowstorm. 
"I'm pretty sure my toes are frozen," I yelled. Mom and Howard began to get further and further ahead of me. I didn't really mind though. I always had a good time watching them be in love. 

I grew up with parents who adored each other. They were intellectual, funny and always kept each other on their toes. I knew if it was in the cards for my life plan, I would want a romance like theirs. 

It hasn't snowed at the house that much since then. I feel mixed feelings about this. One aspect would be that it makes me sad I can't experience the forest that way anymore, like it will remain a distant memory forever. The other is that I'm happy I don't have to relive how happy we were then and how different it feels without him now. 

Written: 3.23.17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Home

When Death Comes Again

Everywhere and Nowhere