Welcome to 'Reaching for Eudaimonia'



Hello.

My name is Kateleigh. This is my first attempt at a writing and maintaining a blog.
           
The first question you may ask is: why is your blog titled ‘Reaching for Eudaimonia’?

Eudaimonia is a Greek word that was meant to be synonymous to happiness or contentment. Currently it is often meant to refer to reaching a state of human flourishing.

The word has since been Anglicized to ‘eudemonia,’ but I purposely kept it at the original.  I believe that we always carry some resemblance to what we have been in the past, which is a very big aspect of the content that will be on this blog.
           
So am I at my personal eudaimonia? Not even close.

That is not to say that I don’t have moments of happiness. But if I am speaking truthfully, most of the time I am still reeling from an unexpected tragedy that happened over three years ago to my family.

My father died when I was a senior in high school. He died on a Sunday. It was 17 days after his 59th birthday and 10 days after my 18th birthday.

This blog will have some content that might be hard to read. I will share some letters I wrote to my father over the past three years as well as some of my favorite memories of him.  I will eventually work myself up to talking about that day… the day he died.

What I hope to accomplish from this blog is to reach out to people who have had similar tragedies in their lives and to let them know they aren’t alone. I haven't come across too many blogs that deal with younger adults losing a parent, so maybe this could help someone.

I also do not think I can do this blog in chronological order (that is start when he died and move to where I am now).  This blog will be flipping back and forth between now and the past. Because of that decision, I will put the dates of when something was written at the bottom of each post. 

Welcome to my journey of ‘Reaching for Eudaimonia.’

           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long Way Home

When Death Comes Again

Everywhere and Nowhere